Small business is the cornerstone of any economy and the Redlands Coast is no different. At the end of 2022, statistics showed that there were a total of 12,592 small GST-registered business in the area (and that is not taking into account those that are not GST registered).
Did you know that in Australia small business is:
- Classified as a business with less than 20 employees
- Accounts for almost 97 per cent of all businesses
- Traditionally, has been the fastest growing business sector
- 61 per cent of small business owners are aged between 45 and 59
- Accounts for 35 per cent of Australia’s gross domestic product (GDP)
- Employs 42 per cent of the Australian workforce
- Agriculture, forestry and fishing small businesses are the largest employer, Australia wide, followed second with rental, hiring and real estate small businesses and then construction
In Redlands our statistics for small business are slightly different to the overall Australian statistics with industry data confirming that in our region, in 2022, construction was the largest sector of the Redland’s economy, followed secondly by professional, scientific and technical services, and thirdly by the rental, hiring and real estate services.
While we may be a small pocket of the world, our economic footprint still provides a significant impact to the Queensland economy with Redland City contributing 1.9 per cent of Queensland’s employment and 1.5 per cent of its value added in 2021/2022.
Being in business can be tough when on your own, but in collaboration we can continue to create a thriving economy on the Redlands Coast and create a bright future, by promoting the area as a competitive destination for investment and talent attraction.
The Redlands Coast Chamber of Commerce is committed to ensuring the Redlands Coast’s small business community is supported, connected engaged and advocated for and does this by:
- Being the voice for the Redlands Coast business community
- Providing meaningful opportunities for our business and investment community to come together to learn, be inspired, and support each other
- Promoting and leading future-focused priorities and activities towards sustainable economic development for the region
To speak to the Chamber or become a member of the Redlands Coast Chamber of Commerce, visit redlandscoastchamber.org.au.